In the the novel, Norma is senior class president and she, along with 14 other students were decorating the gym for the upcoming Senior Prom.
At the Prom, she was handing out programs and seating people according to a pre-arranged chart. Not long after, Norma dropped a ballot for Prom King and Queen on Carrie White and Tommy Ross's table and said "Good Luck!". She and Tina Blake then replaced the ballots with fake ones, that named "Tommy Ross and Carrie White". She survived The Black Prom, but barely got out with Tina by escaping through the firedoor in time with others like Miss Desjardin. She is condemned to never forget about what happened at the Prom. Some time later, Norma described her version of the tragic downfall of the Prom in her book "We Survived The Black Prom". without mentioning how it came to the catastrophe.
Her fate since then became ambiguous, but it is implied, that she is hiding from the world because of the role she played in The Black Prom out of fear it may come out and told in her book only a watered down version of The Black Prom without telling her very guilty part in it to make the best out of it and to partially ease the burden of guilt, that is going to haunt her forever.
This version of Norma is almost as cunning, clever and conniving as Chris Hargensen, and was more of a major player in the film. For starters, she hung around Chris for nearly the entire duration of the film. She also was the one who hit Carrie White in the head with her baseball cap in the film's opening scene and she was near Chris when Carrie began to panic over her late first period. Soon after, Norma was trading spitballs with a fellow classmate during a reading from Mr. Fromm in English class. This version of Norma was fleshed out as being Chris's closest, right-hand girl. Norma hung around Chris for most of the film and played a key role in the prank against Carrie at the Prom. At first, Chris was reluctant to tell Norma anything about what she was up to, but eventually cracked and told her role in the prank. At Prom, Norma collected the ballots for Prom King and Queen. After she collected the ballots she replaced them with with fake ones, so that Tommy Ross and Carrie would be elected King and Queen and gave them to the committe for evaluation, giving Chris the "okay" signal from under the stage. After the pig's blood was "mysteriously" dumped on Carrie, Norma was the first to laugh at the terrible sight, along with her friend Kenny Garson. She could not contain her laughter, causing Carrie to hallucinate and believe everyone else to doing the same. Norma, Freddy DeLois and Kenny then made their way through the crowd, heading for the exit. However, Carrie now had other plans and slammed Freddy and Kenny in between the 2 gym doors. Norma screamed, as all the lights in the gymnasium turned a deadly red color and the firehose turned on, spraying anyone that crossed it's path. Norma screamed in horror with the rest of the students until Carrie finally got her revenge and killed Norma by spraying her into a table with the firehose. This likely lost her conciousness, if not killed her. If she wasn't dead before, Norma was finished off when she was burned inside the gymnasium with the rest of the students and teachers.
She was dead, as the gymnasium collapsed on her corpse.
- Norma is based on herself and Tina Blake. In the novel, Norma was more perky and exaggerative, while Tina was Chris Hargensen's best friend who is implied to have played a role in the prank. In this film, Norma is instead Chris's best friend, who plays a role in the prank.
- In the original script, Norma is hit by a light bar in the gym and knocked into the wall.
- When Carrie White sprays her in the face with the firehose, she probably also died from breaking her neck on the table.
- P.J. Soles actually got injured while filming her character's death. In an interview with Terry Bolo (Trudy Bourne), She said P.J Soles injured her eardrum and went to the hospital.
- There was a stunt in the scene where Norma falls to the table.
- Norma in the script is a lot closer to her novel counterpart, with Tina being the minor part of the role like Norma was in the film.
- Norma appears in the 2013 remake as twins name Nicki and Lizzy Watson.
- P.J. Soles was originally hired for 2 weeks of filming. But after Norma hits Carrie on the head with her red baseball cap during the volleyball game scene, Brian de Palma decided for her to stay a little longer.
- In Halloween H20: 20 Years Later, There is a character name Norma Watson.
- Ironically, P.J. Soles was originally approached for the role but she eventually lost it, because she never gave a straight answer as to what she wanted to do.
- Norma is the 3rd Mortimer Snerds member to be killed by Carrie.
- P.J Soles, along with Charlotte Ayanna (Tracy Campbell), William Katt (Tommy Ross) and Judy Greer (Miss Desjardin) appear in 1999 film, Jawbreaker.
2002 FilmThis Norma is similar to the 1976 film in name only. Norma was the senior-class president and was good
natured, showing a large amount of pep. She was not very popular and she was unliked by her peers due to her overly friendly and annoying ways of interacting with people. Norma was also occasionally taunted by Chris Hargensen and Tina Blake for her knowledgeable know-it-all demeanor. Norma was one of the girls, who tormented Carrie in the locker room, when she had her period, but later complimented Carrie at the prom, and sympathized for her when she got drenched in pig blood, which also fell on her. She announced Carrie and Tommy as prom queen and king, thinking that their winning was because of a large amount of pity votes. She also had blood spilled on her dress, though only marginally when compared to Carrie. When Carrie began her rampage, Norma panicked, though she survived by escaping through a vent along with a few classmates and Miss Desjardin. Norma later testified what she knew to the police and was shocked and disgusted when she found out through Detective Mulchaey that the ballots were switched by faked ones. She realized at once that Carrie had been the victim of a carefully orchestrated evil prank, which also cost Tommy his life and sabotaging the prom she organized on the way as well.
Although the cruel hearted Norma did not appear in the 2013 adaption of Carrie, her character was heavily similar to Tina, in the film, who originally in the book and 2002 TV movie, was also a bully of Carrie White
Norma Watson (1976)
- In The 1976 film Norma was a combination of herself and Tina Blake.
- Norma did not die in the novel or the 2002 TV film. However, she is killed by the waterhoses in the 1976 film.
- In the original 1976 script Norma was a combination of herself and Tina Blake. In the actual film she is almost a direct Tina with only minor Norma tendencies.
- Norma from the 1976 film is based mainly on Tina Blake from the novel. Tina Blake in the 2013 remake is based more on Norma from the 1976 film than her novel counterpart. She's a combination of both characters but more so Norma.