In the beginning, there was a magical presence known as the Prim, also referred as the "darkness behind everything", which Gan arose. When All-World was created, Gan appeared in a metaphysical form as a giant edifice known as the Dark Tower alongside six Beams that are protected by twelve Guardians.
It was said that Maturin the Turtle had a stomach ache that vomited out a universe. This universe is the location of the Keystone Earth, which is a reflection of the "real world" and also includes a fictional version of Stephen King himself. It is the location of the Rose too.
Gan uses Stephen King as a facilitator to tell the tale of the Gunslinger, so Roland Deschain could successfully go about his task of reaching the Tower. If the author died before completing his task, Roland would not have "known" how to further proceed on his quest to the Tower and, without any significant remaining opposition, the Crimson King would have finally toppled the Dark Tower and initiating Discordia, the event which all universes would have ceased to exist, as there would be no story created.
Travel between universes
There are ways to travel from one universe to another by the use of magic and science.
- The Wizard's Rainbow
- The Talisman
- The Lil Pink
List of universes
Nexus of reality
- All-World: Homeworld of Roland Deschain and location of the Dark Tower.
- Keystone Earth: Homeworld of Stephen King and location of the Rose.
- The Territories: A parellel world to Jack Sawyer's world that can accessed with the Talisman.
- The two separated universes linked to the entity Tak.
- Boo'ya Moon: A parallel world to Lisey Landon's.
- The UR universes linked to Wesley Smith's Link Pink:
- Todash space: The limbo between dimensions where is populated by monsters.